Scott County, Kentucky, was formed from Woodford County in 1792, the same year Kentucky became a state. Scott County was named for General Charles Scott and originally contained all of present-day Boone, Kenton and Grant Counties and parts of present day Gallatin, Harrison and Pendleton Counties.
The first settlement in what is now Scott County was at McClelland’s Fort (later called McClelland Station) near Floyd’s Spring in 1775. An Indian attack in 1776 that killed several men forced the temporary abandonment of the fort.
In 1784 the Virginia legislature incorporated McClelland Station and named it Lebanon Station. In 1790 a delegation requested that the Legislature change the name to George Town. Since 1846 it has been spelled Georgetown.
Georgetown is the County Seat. Other settlements in Scott County included Great Crossing, Stamping Ground, Minorsville, Oxford, Turkey Foot, Muddy Ford, Sadieville, Newtown, Stonewall, White Sulphur and Paynes Depot. Some of those mentioned and many others consist of just a few houses now and many are no longer there.
The coming of Toyota in 1986 brought many changes to Georgetown and Scott County. But the small town flavor has not completely disappeared.